Monday, March 22, 2010

Study Abroad: Perugia, Italy

My older post focused on the goals that I wish to accomplish on my bucket list. The purpose of this post is to provide other people with ideas/motivation for their own bucket list, through my accomplishments. As the title suggests, Study Abroad.... Check

During my first visit to Italy in 2006, I fell in love with the Italian language and culture. In the summer of 2007, I decided to enroll in a six weeks language course at the University for Foreigners Perugia/ Università per Stranieri di Perugia. And for the purpose of this blog, I will focus on 3 main aspects of my study abroad experience: Perugia, Homestay, and Trip Highlights.

Perugia

Perugia's location makes it the ideal place to study abroad in Italy. Perugia is located in the region of Umbria. "Cities' distances from Perugia: Assisi 19 km, Siena 102 km, Florence 145 km, Rome 164 km." In other words, when staying in Perugia, because of the short traveling distance to other towns, you get to experience more of Italy. And if you are like me and you have the travel bug, this is a plus.


Additionally, Perugia is a popular college/university town. At night, students hang out in the main square. It is easy to meet new people and socialize. So if you are discouraged to travel/study abroad because you are scared that you will be lonely, I want to reassure you that this will not be the case in this town. I traveled alone to Perugia at 20 years old, and I have met so many people of different cultural backgrounds. Many of whom I still keep in touch with.

Lastly, there are two great festivals that takes place in Perugia: The Umbria Jazz Festival and The Eurochocolate Festival. "The Umbria Jazz Festival is one of the most important jazz festivals in the world and has been held annually since 1973, usually in July." And in November Perugia host the "Eurochocolate Festival, an annual event that is famous throughout the world... the most popular chocolate festival in Europe." For additional information on the Perugia's Eurochocolate Festival, please refer to the following link, http://www.travelguideitaly.net/activities/indulge-yourself-at-perugias-famous-eurochocolate-festival/






Homestay
Rather than sharing an apartment with other students, I decided to stay with a host family. Staying with a host family allowed me to truly experience the Italian culture.
Benefits of staying with a host family:
-Eat an amazingly tasty authentic Italian meal with my host family, once a week
-Live with two other students= instant new friends
-Obtain the full cultural experience
-Have family support and local knowledge


Trip Highlights

While studying in Perugia, I got the opportunity to travel to nearby town/cities.

1.Cinque Terre- A definite must see."The Cinque Terre is a marvelous tourist destination featuring five seaside villages at the foot of terraced hills that fall steeply toward the sea."(3 words, Paradise on Earth... Literally )

2.Siena- Piazza del Campo & The Siena Cathedral

3.Assisi- St Francis of Assissi birthplace/ Basilica di San Fransisco ( An overall cute medieval town worth visiting)

4.Pisa- The Leaning Tower of Pisa ( Yes, it actually does lean)

5.Rome-The Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, The Spanish Steps, Vatican City.....( The list can go on)

6.Florence- Piazza della Signoria, Il Duomo Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore,The Ponte Vecchio...( You can never get bored in Rome or Florence; there are way to many things to do)

Thank you for reading & Hope I gave you some sort of inspiration !!!! : D


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a wodnerful time! I am studying in Perugia and I would like to stay with a host family, but I can't seem to find any information about one. How did you find your host family?

Steph said...

I'm sorry I took so long to answer, but I was trying to obtain all the info for you. I found my host family through a student agency. (All their information is below.) Enjoy Perugia & Hope this information helps. : )

Mondo Service s.r.l.
Via del Maneggio, 29 – Perugia
075/5734863 – 339/1248305
_www.mondoservice.net_ (http://www.mondoservice.net/)

_info@studentliving.eu_ (mailto:info@studentliving.eu)

0039)075-5734863 -- fax