Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Watch a Broadway Performance: The Phantom of the Opera


One of my bucket list's goals is to watch classic Broadway performances. And there is no better way than to start with The Phantom of The Opera.

Plot summary
"Christine Daae was brought up in the Paris Opera house when her famous musician father suddenly dies, telling her he will send her an angel of music to look after her. She grows up and discovers that she is hearing a voice, telling her and teaching her to sing. She believes he is the angel of music but in fact he is a disfigured genius, The phantom. Although she is fascinated and drawn towards the phantom, she falls in love with her childhood sweetheart, The vicomte de changy- or Raoul. The phantom gets madly jealous, kidknaps Christine, and threatens to kill Raoul. She, to save Raoul, agrees to marry the phantom and kisses him. He then realizes what he's done and then makes Christine go with Raoul, disappearing forever."



Review
I have only seen 3 other Broadway shows: The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, and A Christmas Carol. So, I may not be best qualified to write a theatrical review. With that said, I will briefly express my point of view on the show.

The Phantom of The Opera is the best play that I have seen, thus far.
  1. The plot is thrilling and romantic
  2. The set, props, and costumes are well executed
  3. The lighting, sound, and music are captivating


Recommendations
When purchasing your tickets, I would recommend that you pay a bit extra for good seats. A front row seat will better your experience. The detailed plot, the lighting, and the various effects of this play are best experienced at a close proximity from the stage. I purchased my ticket two weeks before the show, and I was able to obtain orchestra seats for about $80.

Additionally, for a special occasion, I would recommend enjoying a meal from a pre & post-Theater menu. Before the Broadway show, we dined at Oceana. Their pre & post-Theater menu, a 3-course prix-fix menu, totaled $49. The meal accompanied with wine pairing averaged $79.

0 comments: